Sunday, June 29, 2014


Now that we are wearing our badges all the time we are representatives of Jesus Christ. People have been so nice to us for the most part.
It makes conversation easy.
I'm proud to be a Mormon!

DRIVE TO HOUSTON—Our last day of Medical Adviser training we were sitting at lunch with Dr. and Sister Drake our trainers. When we told them that we were driving to Denver this afternoon/evening as soon as our training was finished he seemed very surprised! He told us to be careful and stop every hour to walk around. After lunch we were given a practice test, that we finished in an hour then we were on the road. We made it to Denver and settled into the Ramada Inn by 11pm.  Our second day of driving was a long 14 hour day—from Denver to Dallas. We took turns driving and sleeping. Both days we ate dinner at Subway--my favorite. One great benefit of being missionaries is Chuck and I pray more consistently together and while driving we are listening to Book of Mormon on CD. We especially enjoyed the allegory of the Olive Tree—The Lord’s world history.
Grand-parenthood is the
 best stage of life.
Emma and Grandpa at NASA 
Thank you aunt Mary for the doll and shirt.
Emma and Matthias

Matt is ready for a day on call.
Liz gives a hug and a sack lunch 

HOUSTON—When we arrived at Matt and Liz apartment on Saturday at noon--Emma jumped up and down but Matthias clung to his parents. He did warm up to us by the time we left. Matthias crawls so easily he doesn’t care to walk. I did take him outside for a walk—he clung to my finger and got some good practice. After lunch we visited NASA (Johnson Space Center) and had dinner at Pappa’s Barbeque. Sunday, at Church Emma ran right into the nursery to play with the toys. Chuck took Matthias out during Sacrament meeting—so nice of him.  Liz cooked us delicious chicken, we relaxed, then went for a walk around Herman Park. Monday at the zoo we saw an elephant getting a bath, he held his foot up so the lady could scrub it. They check their feet closely and bath them every day for healthy skin. We went home for lunch and afternoon naps then ate delicious Tex-Mex at Pappasito’s Cantina. The next morning we packed up and left. It was harder to leave than I thought it would be. Thanks, Matt and Liz for giving us your king size bed, sorry you had to sleep on the air mattress—you are the best at hosting. I’ll have to say Liz is a loving wife and attentive mom. Matt is in the middle of internal medicine rotation, the final test is on Friday that will end his 3rd year of medical school—we were pleasantly surprised he was able to take Monday off to be with us. Glad to see he took some time off of school work to watch the soccer world cup and to be helpful to Liz with the children.

WELCOME TO FLORIDA--We made it to our mission state. Actually we have just driven through Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and we are just south of Little Rock, Arkansas also part of our Southeast area. The freeway here is just beautiful lined with tall trees and lush green grass. Florida is the sunshine state but half of that sunshine is wet. It has rained hard every day since we arrived--along with spectacular lightning everywhere and frightening thunder. The Latter-day Saint Church has a 30 mile by 50 mile cattle ranch and it is reported that an average of 7 cows are killed by lightning every year. I had no idea Florida is really the lightning state. I know the sun shines because it is very hot and very humid. Thank goodness for air conditioning.

WALTON BEACH,FLORIDA--   We stopped to visit Kathryn (Rees) and Scott Burbidge and their 5 children. Scott was able to take us on Eglin Air Force Base where 32 years ago Chuck worked for 2 years at the hospital where  Kat was born. We had a great visit and fish dinner in Niceville, FL. overlooking Boggy Bayou. We were together touring and eating for about 4hours.
The Burbidge children age 8-14 were respectful and waited patiently--amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all the details! I love to know of your experiences! Love you!